Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 8- Monday

Oh my, this has been an experience. One that I would gladly do over again.

Sunday we went to Pastor Dongo's church. The music was incredible. They sang How Great Thou Art. It started off in English, then changed to their tribal tongue. So people were singing it in two different languages at the same time. Amazing.

The service was given by out Pastor Mary. There seems to be a theme going on, because there have been many times that the Fruits of the Spirit have come up in messages. It was neat to be there for two services and seeing how there are changes from the first to the second. It is a lot like teaching, if you teach the same subject all day. Your delivery is different each time.

I was able to see my Penny again. I live how she constantly runs to me. But at the same time, it reminds me of Riley and how much I miss her.

After church, we ate lunch then headed to the hotel for some much needed rest. We had been nonstop since Monday morning, and it was starting to wear on us.

Today we headed to the primary school. Or at least some if us did. We had a group at the primary school, some went and worked on a project, clotheslines, at the high school, and another group went to Jinja. Jinja is where the ladies make the beads for Buyamba Soles, the sandals. They went there to minister to the women. They also were able to let the women there try out new ideas of products they could make. The one I liked the best was the bag made from the sugar bags. They have sugarcane plantations around Jinja. Like I need another bag, but it helps out women who really need the money. Hopefully I can get one.

The best part of my day was when the child Riley and I sponser ran up and jumped in my arms. She came out of nowhere and surprised me. You see, Friday, she was a little apprehensive I didn't see much of her. But today was a different story. I gave her the sweet note Riley wrote her and she loved it. I can't wait until I see her tomorrow.

Our mission today was to had out over 800 tshirts we had brought with us. This meant we were carrying up suitcases full of tshirts up the stairs. And if we were short a couple of shirts, we had to run down, pick up more, then run back up the stairs. During one of the runs down and up the stairs, I walked back into the wrong class on the wrong floor. They had a good chuckle at my expense.

We also passed out silicon bracelets to the kids. Some of them need to learn, " You get what you get, and you don't throw a fit."

Then it came time to give the teachers some little gifts. Once they started grabbing, it was a free-for-all. Unfortunately not every one grabbed an equal amount. So i started taking things out of my backpack that O could share with the late comers. We learned some powerful lessons on this trip.

The rest of the time we were there, I spent time with the kids. I held some, especially Penny :), we walked around and talked, we shared favorite memory verses, they played with my hair. The older boys, Tom and Alex, took my camera for a adventure. They got some shots I would not of been able to get. It was a great day with the kids.

Pastor Dongo spoke to Rebecca about the teachers going into the classrooms tomorrow. So, it looks like I will be going into a P-1 and P-2 classroom tomorrow. I am interested in how they go about teaching their kids. They have alot of kids in a class. Don't think I will be complaining about 24 students next year.

Dinner was so fun tonight because people from each group were there to tell about their day. The poor men worked hard today. I think the ladies who went to Jinja had the best stories. My favorite was about the fried tilapia that still had its head, skin, and bones served on the plate.

Philippians 4:4

The picture is me and Rahima.

No comments:

Post a Comment